Do This Before the Water Restoration LA Team Arrives
Water damage restoration costs can quickly get out of hand. Let's make your insurance pay!
Water has entered your home. Your kitchen, living room, and basement are all flooded. While most of the damage has already been done, there are many steps you can take to prevent your water damage from turning into a disastrous large loss.
Of course, the first step to take is contacting SERVPRO of Park la Brea, as they can guide you on tips and tricks to ensure insurance coverage for your water damage loss. However, until help arrives, consider these tips.
Before The Water Restoration Team from SERVPRO Arrives:
- If at all possible, stop the water damage at its source. There are a few key places to check in your home for potential water damage.
- Remove loose items from floors.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture to avoid any damage.
- Remove colored rugs and other items that may stain floor coverings.
- Take out wet upholstery and cushions.
- Pin up any draperies or furniture skirts to keep them as dry as possible and to prevent staining.
- Position plastic blocks or aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on and open windows for maximum drying in summer.
- Move art and other decors to a dry place.
Most importantly, make sure that you and your family are safe and out of harm's way. If any of these tasks put you or your family at risk of being harmed, don't do it! While these steps may help alleviate some of the damage, it is always better to let the professionals handle it. The SERVPRO of Park la Brea expert water restoration team and Insurance Claims Professional team in Los Angeles is always here to help.
Intrusion Leads to Water Damage Restoration in Los Angeles
Common entry points for water damage within a home. When is the last time you've had a water restoration team inspect your home?
Water damage from storms can cause extensive and expensive damage if not noticed and fixed quickly. Water ingress into your home can result in damaged items, damp walls, and unpleasant condensation and humidity.
Well, I have insurance for that, right? When considering an insurance claim, if any signs of negligence or pre-existing conditions are discovered, you are almost certainly going to have your claim denied. Notice a drip? See signs of staining? Unusual odors? Hear a strange sound? Well, these are some of the top signs of existing water damage you may have in your home. Moreover, there are many entry points within a home that should be checked regularly to ensure protection against unwanted water flooding and to better guarantee insurance coverage.
Here are three common ways water can sneak into your home:
- Roof Leaks - A roof leak during a storm can allow gallons of rainwater to seep into your home and cause extensive damage. If not fixed quickly, it can affect multiple levels of your home and result in thousands of dollars spent in repairs.
- Foundation Crack - A foundation crack can allow water to seep into your home and cause serious damage, especially if the crack is large. If you notice water coming up through your floor after a rainstorm, it's likely that you have a foundation crack.
- Windows and Doors - Windows and doors are common entry points for water damage during a storm. If these areas are not properly sealed, water can easily enter your home and cause extensive damage to floors, walls, and items within your home.
While there is no way to fully prepare for the unknown associated with flooding or water damage, ensuring that these areas of your home are secure may help prevent an unwelcomed guest. Our highly trained water damage restoration team in Los Angeles is prepared to respond to any size loss, 24/7, 365.
5 Ways Storms Can Damage Your Home
Help protect your home from water damage during a storm with these helpful tips from your local water damage experts.
If you live in an area that is prone to heavy rainstorms, hurricanes, or flooding, you may already be familiar with the risk to your home of flooding and damage. If you are unsure of how to remedy these issues, we've got a list of top tips for you.
1. Wind Damage
Flying debris can be a major hazard, capable of injuring or killing anyone caught outside. It can also smash windows or crack roof tiles, therefore potentially allowing water leakage into your home. When warned of an incoming storm, make sure that all outdoor items are secured to prevent them from becoming missiles.
2. Water Damage
Heavy rain will find its way through any cracks and result in damage to your home. If you find the water coming into your basement from the ground, it is likely you have a crack in your foundation. Faulty guttering and downpipes can lead to damp interior walls and leakage, windowsills may also be a source of leaks if not properly sealed.
3. Roof Damage
As we touched on above, your roof can be damaged in a storm, either by the force of wind pulling away tiles or from tiles becoming cracked after being hit by debris. In particularly windy conditions, heavy rain can also be blown in through roof vents. However the water may enter your property, it can cause a large amount of damage and effect multiple levels of your home as the water seeps downwards.
4. Displaced Pests
Anyone and anything experiencing a flood will seek safer ground. As such, heavy rainfall can drive pests like snakes, rodents, spiders, and bugs, to leave their flooded homes and enter yours. Sealing and checking ground-level access routes for small animals by sealing holes and placing fine grills over vents will minimize the impact of pests.
5. Tree damage
Heavy rains can cause trees to fall and strike your home, resulting in structural damage or personal injury. We recommend working with your neighbors to ensure any at-risk trees are removed, or reduced, to ensure they are safe when a storm hits your area.
Contact SERVPRO today to learn how our team can help you recover from unexpected storm damage quickly!
Water Damage Los Angeles - Secure Insurance Coverage
If you need water damage restoration services in LA, we can help you secure coverage!
Under most circumstances, your primary home owners insurance policy covers most water damage losses within your home. While there are many exclusions that may apply, there are key items that are vital to address prior to and during an unexpected water damage.
While this blog provides some tips to help secure your insurance coverage, our insurance professional team greatly understands the insurance claims process and can be contacted 24/7 for full claims analysis.
Prior to experiencing an emergency water damage:
- Ensure your insurance coverage is active, that your coverages are appropriate, and consider your deductible amounts. Learn how changing your deductible can completely change your water damage insurance claim experience (blog coming soon).
- Document as much as your home as possible. Saved photos of all rooms, furniture, valuables, etc. may help in the event that these items are destroyed.
- Perform regular maintenance around your home. Insurance claims are likely to be denied if evidence of negligence is discovered.
In the event that you do suffer a water damage in your home, consider these tips which may significantly affect your claim:
- What was the source of the damage and has it been corrected? Generally speaking, the insurance carrier will rely on documents provided by emergency repair technicians (plumbers) to determine coverage. Correcting this is imperative and maintaining a record of this report is of even greater importance.
- After correcting the source and obtaining an initial loss report, contact SERVPRO of Park la Brea who can help determine, utilizing the outcome of the report, if coverage will be afforded based on your policy.
With the right policy in place, proper maintenance of your home, and by utilizing our Insurance Professional Team, your insurance claims process will be streamlined and maximized for value.
Signs You May Need Water Damage Restoration Services
14,000 Americans require Water Damage Restoration services a day. While we cannot help all, we will always be there for Los Angeles.
In the United States, approximately 14,000 people experience a water damage restoration emergency at home or work each day.
Unfortunately, they cannot always be predicted or prevented, but instead, we can better prepare ourselves to learn how to respond in the event that water damage does strike. First and foremost, ensure your home has valid homeowners insurance coverages and know how it works. These claims are often denied for a variety of reasons leading to thousands of dollars out of your pocket.
After ensuring your home is protected on paper, here are some signs that may be an indication of water damage in your home:
Dripping unusual sounds of running water.
- Staining on walls, ceiling, or other structural items.
Bubbling, flaking, or peeling paint.
- That little dripping noise should not be ignored, listen to your home!
Significant increases in your water bill.
- This is common in bathrooms, kitchens, etc. and can reveal elevated moisture in the drywall materials.
- Increases in your water bill may help you determine if that drip, stain, or bubbled paint truly is associated with an internal water damage.
In the event that you do suffer from water damage, there are many simple tasks you can do to greatly minimize damage. With these proactive water mitigation efforts, you can avoid costly problems in the future. The SERVPRO of Park la Brea team is here 24/7 to help you with any water damage restoration emergency that may arise in your Los Angeles, CA home.
Water In Your Basement After a Rain Storm? Take These Steps Now
Water damage experts able to work in any size space. Yes, even in those dark and creepy flooded basements.
If you find water leaking into your basement after heavy rain, you may not have a problem with your foundation or drainage.
There are many possible causes of water leakage in a basement, and the source of the water should be identified before any repairs are attempted. Some sources of water leakage may include cracks in the foundation, improper drainage around the house, faulty gutter and downspout systems, ice dams on roofs, malfunctioning sump pumps, poor flashing around doors and windows, or even improperly sealed chimneys.
A proper diagnosis is needed to determine where the source of water entry is before repairing or installing any waterproofing system.
Basic Checks to Identify Water Leakage in Your Basement:
Take these steps right now to keep your basement water from becoming a real problem.
STEP 1: Look for the source of the water in your basement.
STEP 2: Move wet or damaged items away from the area of basement leakage.
STEP 3: Check for any water damage to your flooring or walls.
STEP 4: Examine window sills for gaps around the inside frame.
STEP 5: Inspect the gutter and downspout system.
Just like with rain, snow falling on your roof melts into a liquid that then runs off the roof and down the sides of the house. If the ground is frozen, this melted snow will refreeze along the foundation wall and can then cause water damage to your home. You can prevent this type of water damage by ensuring that your downspouts are clear of debris and draining away from your home.
At SERVPRO, we know that water damage can be a headache. Contact our team of expert technicians for help in repairing storm damage and preventing future issues!
The Sneaky Places Mold Loves to Hide | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Have you inspected these areas for signs of bacterial growth?
Are you concerned that you may have mold in your commercial business? Mold loves to grow in damp areas, so you can bet that mold is growing if you have moisture issues.
There are many different places mold can hide and grow without you even noticing that it is there:
- In a property’s basement or crawlspace
- In the walls of bathrooms and kitchens
- Underneath carpeting, especially if it is in an area with moisture problems such as a bathroom or kitchen
- Ventilation ducts because they provide a dark, damp place for mold to grow
Mold can grow in your business without you even knowing it is there. This is what makes treating mold quickly essential - it may grow, spread, and damage your property far before the signs of mold show up.
The best way to get rid of mold is to tackle it at the source. Contact the mold remediation professionals at SERVPRO today to learn more about mold removal and mitigation services. Together, we can rid your business of toxic mold - for good.
What is a Restoration Company? | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Spooky Season is upon us, we are the experts at spooking water away.
When it comes to water, fire, and other disasters in the home, you can rely on the services of a restoration company to help you get back on your feet.
Restoration companies are businesses that specialize in the removal and cleanup of water or fire damage from residential or commercial properties. These services can include things such as:
- Emergency response to a home fire, natural disaster, severe storm, flood, or any other property damage event
- Extraction of water, mud, and other contaminants from your home
- Treatment for mold growth to prevent re-contamination of the structure
- Restoration of your home with replacement furniture, appliances, cleaning products, clothing, and more.
Restoration companies will typically provide 24/7 emergency services. This is especially important if you have water damage, as time is of the essence to prevent further damage.
If your home has experienced damage, don't waste a moment. Contact the water damage experts at SERVPRO to discover how a restoration company can help you recover from even the most unexpected catastrophes.
SERVPRO Mold Remediation Cleanup in Los Angeles
SERVPRO Mold Damage Cleanup Does It All! Catch the Damage Early!
Dealing with mold in your home or business is never easy. While bacterial growth is not always visible, and only reveals itself when the infestation has grown significantly, we can better understand the conditions necessary for mold to grow and ensure that these conditions are not present within our property.
Before mold strikes, here are some tips on how to stop black mold in its tracks:
- Research how mold grows and thrives - and ensure that your business invests in mold mitigation methods proactively.
- If your workplace is filled with high moisture and humidity levels, mold spores can easily thrive in your place of business.
- Check for any sources of water near your business. Sometimes, even a small leak can cause or be an invitation for black mold.
- Make sure you address the black mold problem promptly. If you find it has already caused damage and infestation, this needs to be addressed immediately.
Your business has enough to handle without dealing with the impacts of mold. If you are concerned about mold in your commercial property, contact SERVPRO of Park la Brea - the region's leading mold mitigation and removal team. SERVPRO will help you take care of mold on your property without any hassles.
How Fire Damage Can Lead to Water Damage | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
When the first responders finish their job, ours begins.
When a fire occurs, many are concerned with the potential of catastrophic fire damage. But did you know that water damage can occur as a result of fire damage?
- Fire damages the integrity of a building's electrical system, resulting in leaks or ruptured pipes.
- A fire will remove most or all insulation from walls which in turn causes condensation on interior surfaces like windows and ceilings. Condensation on windows and ceilings may drip down onto furniture and floors.
- Firefighting efforts can cause water damage to a structure during the firefighting process. Even if fire sprinkler systems are working correctly, they are designed to extinguish a fire - not to prevent water from entering your home.
At SERVPRO, we work diligently to help prevent water damage and to respond quickly when it occurs. We offer premier water damage fire cleanup and fire restoration services in the region. Contact SERVPRO of Park la Brea today to learn more. Servicing all of Los Angeles, CA and more.